Pi Kappa Alpha grants early alumni status to senior class

|

March 22, 2013

The Gamma chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity granted alumni status to its seniors early this year and immediately initiated the fall new member class in a ceremony last semester under the guidance of former PIKA international president Anderson Morse ’76, following an incident of hazing December 6.

The investigation surrounding the hazing incident ended in January and the fraternity lost its spot in the new fraternity complex in February.

“The Chapter has educational conditions placed upon them by both the International Fraternity and University in hopes of helping the Chapter move in a positive direction,” Communications Director of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity Justin True said in an email.

The chapter will remain on probation until the end of spring semester and lost their social privileges until March 31. Under national’s guidance, the group will undergo Greek leadership programming. At the College of William and Mary, the chapter faces a $500 fine that will go toward hazing prevention and remains under review for their eligibility to participate in rush.

“I believe the current leadership is working diligently to put the chapter on the right track for the future,” Director of Student Leadership Development Anne Arseneau ’89 M.Ed. ’92 said. “That being said … [a culture change] is difficult to sustain.”

Board of Visitors defers discussion of amendments to weapon, open flame policies
Board of Visitors meets to approve 18 resolutions in November session
Short story author Kelly Link discusses magical realism, writing

Senior staff writer Katherine Chiglinsky '14 is an English and economics major from Roanoke, Va. She was previously Editor-in-Chief, News Editor, Variety Editor and Associate Variety Editor.