Women’s Soccer: Tribe adds six to squad

With the impending departure of six graduating seniors, head coach John Daly moved quickly to find new pieces. Six student-athletes committed to join William and Mary Wednesday.

“We have some pretty big shoes to fill, having graduated our leading scorer for the past two seasons in Emory Camper, as well as key players such as Emily Fredrikson, Aly Shaughnessy, Anna Madden, Taylor Dyson and Christina Popps,” Daly told Tribe Athletics. “All six graduating seniors have left an imprint on the women’s soccer program here, and I am very confident that this incoming class will do the same. They will join a team, which is showing tremendous dedication this spring. All are anxious to put the Tribe back in the top sphere, where it belongs.”

Half of the recruits hail from Virginia: keeper Sara Vigen (Herndon, Va.), midfielder/forward Marie Shine (McLean, Va.) and midfielder/back Claire Robbins (Herndon, Va.).

Out-of-state recruits include midfielder/back Mackenzie Kober (Hunington, N.Y.), back Arundel Miguelez (Boston, Mass.) and forward Sarah Segan (Fogelsville, Pa.).

Vigen, from South Lakes High School, looks to challenge the Tribe’s four current goalkeepers, although junior Caroline Casey’s experience and strong past performance sets her up as the front-runner entering the 2015 season.

Shine, who graduated from McLean High School, transferred from Northern Virginia Community College this semester and will train with the team this spring. Shine won a state championship in 2010 and earned a first place national league finish with club team BRYC Elite.

Robbins plays at Oakton High School and has enjoyed success on both the prep and club levels, including wining the National League U18 tournament with BRYC’s Elite W Team.

Haling from Saint Anthony’s High School in New York, Kober reached the state title game in both 2012 and 2014. Kober also advanced to the national level of the Olympic Developmental Program.

Daly saw Miguelez and Segan play against each other in the Jefferson Cup. Acton-Boxborough Regional’s Miguelez enters the College as an experienced athlete, having lettered in three sports. A known scorer, Miguelez looks to add some offensive pressure from the back line. Segan, from Northwestern Lehigh, is also a three-sport athlete and reached ODP’s regional pool.

The Tribe looks to improve from last season’s 12-6-1 campaign and 4-0 loss in the Colonial Athletic Association Championship at Northeastern.