DNCE, D.R.A.M. to perform at annual spring concert April 19

DNCE will be the main act the annual spring concert April 19. COURTESY PHOTO / COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY

Student Assembly and Alma Mater Productions announced today that pop group DNCE will take the stage at Kaplan Arena for the annual spring concert.

DNCE, a group featuring vocalist Joe Jonas, formed in 2015 and released their hit single “Cake by the Ocean” shortly thereafter. They are also known for songs like “Toothbrush” and “Body Moves” and recently-released single “Kissing Strangers” featuring Nicki Minaj. The group also won Best New Artist at MTV’s 2017 Music Awards.

Opening for DNCE is D.R.A.M., a rapper and hip-hop artist who grew up in Hampton. He is known for songs such as “Broccoli” and “Cha Cha.” His music has been featured on both Billboard’s top rap songs chart and Rhythmic radio chart.

Sen. Sikander Zakriya ’19, who sponsored the bill allocating $50,000 from SA reserves to fund the concert, also served on the joint committee responsible for selecting the artist and working with booking agencies.

“Honestly, I have been a huge fan of D.R.A.M. since freshman year and [I am] thrilled to have the opportunity to see him in concert at William & Mary,” Zakriya said in an email. “Also, having someone with such star status like Joe Jonas come to William & Mary is always exciting because it is a little like putting your college on the map. I remember Swae Lee from Rae Sremmurd recorded a video on my phone of the concert and tweeted about how much of a great time he had and to get something like that again would be amazing.”

James Irby ’19, who serves on AMP’s music committee, and Zakriya both said they were pleased with the decision to select an opening and main act that appealed to different audiences. In previous years, AMP and SA have brought artists such as the Chainsmokers and Rae Sremmurd to campus for the spring concert act.

“This year we really wanted to attract as many people as possible to the concert,” Zakriya said. “In years past, the focus seems to have been on one genre or similar artists for the opener and the main act. In order to appeal to as many students as possible, this year we thought it would be fun and unique to get an opener and main act who don’t necessarily have the same audiences listening to their music.”

The spring concert is scheduled for April 19, and tickets will go on sale March 19 for students at 8:30 a.m. Tickets for the general public will go on sale March 21 at 8:30 a.m. General admission tickets are $15, and floor tickets are $25 for students and $30 for the general public. Tickets can be purchased at the Kaplan Arena box office or online through the Tribe Athletics website.

“I am most excited to see people throwing it back and singing along to some of their favorite party songs,” Irby said in an email.