College Provost Michael Halleran to resign, seeks return in 2020 as professor

Halleran will resign at the end of the 2018-19 academic year. COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

In a campus-wide email College of William and Mary President Katherine Rowe announced the impending retirement of Provost Michael Halleran, in order for him to resume his position as teacher and scholar in the classical studies department. Halleran will step down at the conclusion of the 2018-19 academic year.

Halleran has served in his position for nearly a decade, sharing the title of longest-serving provost at the College with the late Gillian Cell, who served between 1993 and 2003. Halleran said that he made the decision to announce his leave now in order to give Rowe ample time to find a successor.

The provost not only serves as the chief academic officer, but is also responsible for all academic and research programs, academic budgets, institutional planning, space allocation and faculty development. In addition, the provost also claims responsibility for the Muscarelle Museum, the Reves Center for International Studies, and for the College’s Washington Center. Throughout the years, Halleran has played a role in the transition to the College’s COLL curriculum, the financial promise to in-state undergraduates, and the College’s journey in becoming a more international institution.

After a sabbatical year, Halleran will return to the College in 2020 as a full-time faculty member in the classical studies department.