Briguglio, Tribe blank Hofstra 2-0 to even up conference record

Despite a victory for the Tribe, the possession was very fluid between the College and the Dragons. COURTESY PHOTO // TRIBE ATHLETICS.

In Sunday’s Colonial Athletic Association matchup, junior goalkeeper Katelyn Briguglio posted a clean sheet and William and Mary’s defense held Drexel to just two shots on goal as the Tribe (5-7-0, 2-2-0 CAA) blanked the Dragons (4-4-4, 1-2-0 CAA), 2-0.

Both teams traded possession and opportunities in the first half, each getting dangerous opportunities in the opening 20 minutes. The Tribe broke through in the 34th minute on a well-placed corner by sophomore defender Alex Kuhle. Senior midfielder Arundel Miguelez slid the ball into the left side of the goal, putting the home team up 1-0 to finish off the first half.

The Dragons opened the second half by ringing a shot off the crossbar and didn’t let up, sending a few more shots toward the goal. Just as it looked like they were gaining momentum, however, junior forward Sully Boulden sprinted forward to put home a cross from redshirt junior Sarah Segan, putting the Tribe up by two and deflating some of Drexel’s momentum.

After a wave of substitutions, Drexel went back to trying to chip away at the Tribe lead, taking a series of corner kicks that failed to result in any shots on goal. In one last surge, the Dragons managed to once again hit the crossbar in the 84th minute, but that was as close as they would get to scoring; a shutdown performance by the Tribe defense would leave them scoreless in a 2-0 College victory.

This shutout marks Briguglio’s third of the season. Meanwhile, Miguelez picked up her first goal of the campaign with the first-half tally, while Boulden became one of four players to have multiple this year with her second of 2018. Their efforts culminated in the College tying up its conference record, 2-2-0. With five conference games still left in the season, the team will look to make that record a winning one as it takes on Hofstra. The Pride has one of the best records in the CAA at 3-1-0, and the Tribe will take it on Oct. 7 in Hempstead, New York.