Men’s Gymnastics: Tribe narrowly bested by Army

0
371
Jamie Holt / The Flat Hat

William and Mary travelled to West Point, New York to compete against Army Feb. 23. Despite earning its season best of 391.75, the College still fell to the Black Knights’ 398.3.

Posting season highs, the Tribe recorded 70.3 on vault and 65.3 on high bar. Most notably, four Tribe gymnasts won event titles – sophomore Cutter Fugett with 13.85 on floor, senior Jacopo Gliozzi with 14.1 on pommel horse, senior David Watkins with 14.05 on rings and freshman Andrew Lyubovsky with 13.7 on high bar.

On floor, aside from Fugett’s performance, junior Tomas Palma received his season-best score. On pommel horse, sophomore Spencer Schrandt placed third with a career-high 13.4. On rings, Gliozzi closely followed Watkins with a 13.9. On vault, many gymnasts contributed to the College’s efforts to post a squad season-best in the event. Sophomore Collin Lillie placed second with a career-high 14.4, the sixth best in school history, while junior Tim O’Neill made his season debut with a 14.1. In parallel bars, sophomore Ian Creelman and junior Nate Winneg performed the best, recording 12.5 and 12.3 respectively. In high bar, senior David Allen followed Lyubovsky recording a 13.4 and attaining his season-high.

The Tribe will return when it competes in a tri-meet co-hosted by Springfield and Temple Feb. 24.

Previous articleMen’s Basketball: Tribe downs third-ranked Charleston 86-84
Next articleForking Around: The Flat Hat reviews Yamachan
Gavin Aquin
Gavin Aquin '22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat, having previously contributed to the Sports section since 2018 as an Associate Editor. He is from Las Vegas, Nevada/Los Angeles, California, and sees his West Coast upbringing as instrumental to his worldview. He is a History and Classical Studies double-major, focusing on the Middle East, Jewish Diaspora history, Hispanic culture and Ancient Greece. In his free time, he cheers for the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, the Houston Astros, Atlético de Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur.