Women’s Golf: Top score in final round propels Tribe to third place

COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS

Tuesday, Oct. 1 at the Starmount Fall Classic, William and Mary wrapped up the tournament with the top score in the final round, finishing in third place overall. Senior Allison Olberding and freshman Cindy Zhou, who both recorded topten finishes in the final round, in seventh and eighth, respectively, led the Tribe. 

The two-day tournament, hosted by North Carolina-Greensboro, featured other teams from around the area such as Radford, Longwood and North Carolina-Asheville. Despite being a newcomer, Zhou has led the Tribe in each of its past two tournaments this year, posting a 74.67 stroke per round score. Last week at the Pirate Collegiate Classic, she placed 11th in the competitive field, while shooting a career-best one under par in the final round.  

That trend would continue into this week, with Zhou placing eighth overall and recording her second-best score of the season at +10. In addition, the College picked up a monstrous performance from sophomore Sarah Houle in the final round. The Connecticut native shot two over par to pace the Tribe.  

Up next, the Tribe will get a much-needed rest this upcoming week before heading to the Hounds Ears Intercollegiate Tournament in Boone, North Carolina. The College will look to continue their dominance there, a tournament it won last season. Action will tee off Monday, Oct. 14th