Women’s Soccer: Tribe squanders late-game comeback in overtime, loses 3-2

0
89
COURTESY PHOTO/TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary traveled to Elon, North Carolina, Oct. 3 to compete against Elon. The College (3-7-2, 1-1-1 CAA) was able to make a comeback, scoring two goals in the last six minutes of regulation. However, in overtime, the Tribe dropped the game to Elon (8-3-1, 2-1 CAA), ultimately losing the match 3-2.

After a scoreless and relatively uneventful first half, the Tribe and the Phoenix both showed their true colors and competitive spirit in the second half. In the 47th minute, the Phoenix scored by setting up a corner kick from Phoenix forward BekyMyers. The ball subsequently found the foot of midfielder Kayla Hodges who brought the Phoenix their first goal, setting the score to 1-0.

In the 61st minute, the Phoenix were able to double their lead on a counterattack. Midfielder Bethany Harford was able to draw the defense in just outside the 18-yard-box before passing the ball to forward Taylor Paradoski, who stood waiting in the middle of the 18. Paradoski was able to then send her shot into the top of the net, bringing the Phoenix their second goal.

Not to be ignored, the Tribe fomented its comeback in the 84th minute when sophomore midfielder Renee Kohler found junior midfielder Colleen Norton open in the box. Norton sent the shot into the back of the next, bringing the score to 2-1.

Eighty-one seconds later, the Tribe struck yet again, bringing the score to 2-2. Kohler fired a shot off the crossbar, but it bounced right back to her. Subsequently, she sent the ball to redshirt senior forward Sarah Segan, who stood in the middle of the 18, who then sent the ball into the top of the net.

Due to the tie at the end of regulation, the College and the Phoenix entered overtime to determine the victor. Just 15 seconds into second overtime, the Phoenix took the match when forward Carson Jones sent forward Jessica Carrieri the ball. After a one on one with the goalkeeper, Carrieri was able to send a shot into the top right of the goal, bringing the score to a crisp 3-2.

Commenting on the near-successful comeback and subsequent loss, head coach Julie Shackford displayed both dismay and optimism.

“We had lots of momentum heading into overtime and the game-winning goal evaded us by inches when Courtney Miles hit the crossbar on a fantastic shot,” Shackford said. “Elon caught us off guard in the second overtime when they intercepted a pass from our kickoff and found an open runner in the box. It was a heart-breaking game to lose, but it was the first time all season we were able to battle back from a deficit, and something to build on for sure.”

The College will host Delaware at Martin Family Stadium Oct. 6 with the hopes of redemption after a near win.

Previous articleSA welcomes Class of 2023 representatives, passes Subsidized Emergency Contraception Act
Next articleField Hockey: College propels past Dukes, 5-2 Family Weekend victory
Gavin Aquin-Hernández
Gavin Aquin-Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a History and European Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and French cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la historia y los estudios europeos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y franceses, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas.