Kappa Delta holiday celebrates friendship

The College’s Kappa Delta sorority recognizes the importance of friendship, particularly among women, and the vital role they play in our lives. In tribute to National Women’s Friendship Day, KD, in collaboration with Inter-Sorority Council, invites all women to come out to a special screening of “Miss Congeniality” at the Sorority Court field from 8 to 11 p.m. Sunday. Free drinks and popcorn will also be included.

p. The national chapter of KD founded National Women’s Friendship Day in 1999. Its aim is to commemorate the bonds of friendship that exist among women. This day is celebrated on the third Sunday of September.

p. Since its establishment nearly a decade ago, the holiday has gained momentum. Governors in 32 states have issued proclamations endorsing this day, and several notable companies promote it, including Vera Bradley and Avon.

p. This year marks KD’s fourth annual celebration of National Women’s Friendship Day on the College’scampus.
    “We are very proud of this day and its significance,” KD Vice President of Public Relations Maggie Woodward ’09 said. “It’s a very relaxing yet fun way to get everyone involved and to celebrate friendships.”

p. September, in particular, serves as an ideal time to honor friends at the College. Beginning a new school year always introduces new faces and friendships, yet it is also a time to reconnect with old friends and to pick up where you left off from last spring.

p. “It’s a great time to meet new girls on your hall,” Woodward said.
    KD remains the only sorority to have founded a national holiday. In expanding the original vision of National Women’s Friendship Day to the College’s campus, KD hopes to connect women everywhere.

p. “Our screen on the green event is a great way for sororities to reach out to girls unaffiliated with Greek life, a time just for girls to be girls and enjoy each other’s friendship,” KD Vice President of Membership Lauren Queen ’08 said.