Sports in Brief: April 24

Baseball: Ninth inning comeback leads College over Hokies

A six-run ninth inning rally helped the Tribe (17-20, 6-9 CAA) defeat Virginia Tech (24-14, 14-12 ACC) 14-10 Tuesday. The winning run came in when junior catcher Chris Jensen knocked in a run on a groundout to second base. The rally was rooted in a full team effort, as five different players batted in the six runs. Senior shortstop Lanny Stanfield knocked in two of those, shooting a double down the left field line, increasing the lead to 13-10. In the bottom half of the inning, freshman pitcher Matt Davenport struck out all three Hokie batters to pick up his fifth win of the season.

Men’s Track and Field: Grey, Heroux dominate IC4A weekly honors

Junior distance runner Jon Grey and freshman thrower Brandon Heroux came away from the CAA championships last weekend with results worthy of recognition from the IC4A. Grey won in the track category and earned the Most Outstanding Performer award from the conference. He became the first runner in the championship’s history to win both the 5,000-m and 10,000-m races in the same year with times of 14:11.91 and 30:06.17. Heroux, ranked 15th nationally in the javelin, earned the award in the field category with a javelin throw of 227’5”. This mark broke the College record for this event.

Lacrosse: Golden named to honor roll for second straight week

For the second straight week, sophomore midfielder Grace Golden earned a spot on the Womenslacrosse.com honor roll. Golden netted seven goals and added two assists in the Tribe’s two victories last weekend. Six of these nine points came from the 18-12 victory against Hofstra University on Sunday. With 39 goals on the year, Golden is seven goals ahead of classmate and fellow attacker Ashley Holofcener for the team lead and is currently tied with for fourth in the conference in goals scored.