Best of the Burg: Frugal Fashion

Located in a strip mall on Richmond Road near the Food Lion, Goodwill sits relatively unassuming, with its plain rectangular exterior and minimalist logo blazoned proudly across mousy brown plaster. Long panes of glass make up the store front, providing a clear view of the interior of the shop.

Nonetheless, it presents itself as a well organized and spacious store complete with racks of clothing — color coded and organized by price — changing rooms, and easy-to-understand labels.

On the inside it’s nearly as plain, with carpeted floors and fluorescent lighting reminiscent of a Walmart or retirement home. Nonetheless, it presents itself as a well organized and spacious store complete with racks of clothing — color coded and organized by price — changing rooms, and easy-to-understand labels.

Don’t let its plain appearance hold you back from shopping there, however, because the merchandise is anything but ordinary. There are paisley shirts reminiscent of the 70s, faux fur coats that exude spunk and glamour and thick-heeled combat boots. Miscellaneous items are scattered about, from raunchy Italian romance novellas to faux potted plants and designer purses. The store offers variety to say the least. But the best part? Almost nothing offered at Goodwill will be the same if you return the next day.

For the College of William and Mary student, there are not many clothes shopping opportunities in Williamsburg besides the outlet mall and small stores in Colonial Williamsburg. Those can fall on the higher end of the price tag, however.

For the broke college student, Goodwill presents itself as the best option for shopping on a budget. Goodwill is a treasure trove of items for anyone looking to find unique, vintage clothing for cheap. Prices fall as low as $0.99. It’s almost guaranteed you’ll find an interesting, if not well loved, piece of clothing or pair of shoes every time you visit the store.

Not only does Goodwill offer unique opportunities for shopping, it’s also a great way to make a difference while getting rid of unwanted items that would otherwise go to waste just laying around in your closet.

“I think it’s wonderful because it promotes recycling. It’s very sustainable and cheap, it’s great for people who can’t afford clothes and material, people on a budget and college students” said Thomeka Watkins ’19. “At the same time it helps people get rid of things they don’t want without being wasteful.”

After all, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Goodwill is a great way to find that treasure.