Best of the Burg: Sundaes, smoothies, sweet scoops

People-watching in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg with a Banana Royale Sundae can only be done at one place, making Baskin-Robbins the prime spot for those seeking a reliable ice cream shop with a local feel. Although part of one of the largest corporations in America, the shop feels at home in Williamsburg, with a cozy location, friendly staff and long list of creative frozen options.

Close enough to Aromas to soak in the smells of fresh coffee and pastries, Baskin-Robbins sits in Merchants Square, an area that has achieved the perfect balance between quaint and bustling. Its location has given it its versatility — one can sit outside on a hot day and people-watch, or grab a treat to-go when shopping or exploring. Although its success is probably derived from its long-lasting and well-known brand, the store’s historic location and the surrounding atmosphere’s old-timey feel boosts this Baskin-Robbins from a normal ice cream chain store to a tasty staple of the Williamsburg area.

Staffed with friendly, eager employees and containing a counter of colorful ice cream flavors and excited toddlers with their families, Baskin-Robbins provides a happy atmosphere. The good-humored staff is accommodating, even when a reporter stands at the counter with several tiny plastic spoons looking to sample all 31 flavors in the name of journalism.

With its charming location and attractive abundance of rich flavors, there’s no better place to satiate an ice cream craving.

Baskin-Robbins is especially appealing to the local college student looking for frozen treats, when it comes to cost and dependability. Unlike many restaurants in Colonial Williamsburg, Baskin-Robbins’ prices are typical, and its well-known brand ensures the ice cream will have the same delicious quality each time you buy. Additionally, the shop supports the College community by accepting Pocket Points and often hiring students.