For the best breakfast, look past dining halls

Breakfast at campus dining halls can be a sordid affair, with their dark lighting, pungent dish drop-offs and subpar food choices. However, there is another option. Using Dining Dollars, which are included with your meal plan, you can drop by Swemromas, pick up a bagel or a croissant and the specialty drink of your choice and get some early-morning studying done before class.

The mornings are already hard enough; don’t brave the dark, rank Caf in the morning to gobble down powdered eggs and suspicious meat, all washed down with incredibly bitter coffee. Don’t enter Sadler in order to try and pick up a drink from the always-broken coffee machine or a waffle from the mysteriously missing waffle maker. Don’t make the trek to Marketplace just to find out that you can either get fruit or hash browns, but not both. Eating breakfast at the dining halls simply pales in comparison to eating breakfast at the bright, sunny Swemromas.

Eating breakfast at the dining halls simply pales in comparison to eating breakfast at the bright, sunny Swemromas.

Drop in before your first morning class and order from their large menu of baked goods, sandwiches and other treats. Order yourself an incredible hot or cold drink. My staple is always the ridiculously caffeinated House Blend, or else the Southern Pecan if I feel like something extremely warm and comforting on a bitter day. Or you could try one of the tasty specialty drinks, like a S’mores Latte or an Aromaccino. Nothing can be better than biting into a hot, crunchy bagel toasted exactly to your liking while sipping one of the famous Aromas drinks as you finish up some last minute studying before class. I know I always get my best work done surrounded by scrumptious food in a warm and friendly environment, rather than crowded like a sardine into one of the dining halls.

Nothing can be better than biting into a hot, crunchy bagel toasted exactly to your liking while sipping one of the famous Aromas drinks as you finish up some last minute studying before class.

Some students might be reluctant to spend their Dining Dollars on breakfast at Swemromas when they could simply swipe into one of the dining halls. However, your dining dollars are already paid for, and you have to use them all by the end of the year anyway. So why not spend them on food that you can actually chew and digest, at a place where you won’t accidentally sit on something sticky?

Also, if you can’t afford an extra-expensive specialty drink, fear not, for you can use your full Swemromas punch card to get one, of any size, for free. This is proof that it truly pays to frequent this prominent establishment. It is the perfect treat to cheer you up on a cold winter day or get you ready for a long day of classes.

At the beginning of the day there is no place I would rather be. Being able to start my day with great drinks, good food and a fantastic place to relax is simply the best. Being able to have a delicious breakfast starts your day off right, so choose wisely.

Email Nia Kitchin at vmkitchin@email.wm.edu