Baseball: College bests VCU on road

Jamie Holt / The Flat Hat

A six-run second inning propelled the Tribe to victory over Virginia Commonwealth Tuesday, improving it to 14-4 on the year and gaining momentum before beginning Colonial Athletic Association play this weekend.

Both teams failed to score in the first inning and two walks by Rams pitcher Jack Alkire led to sophomore infielder David Hogarth driving in the first Tribe run of the day with a single up the middle. After a third walk, freshman outfielder Matt Thomas blasted a single of his own straight through the infield to score two more runs. Senior catcher Hunter Smith and senior infielder Zach Pearson both hit doubles with two outs to earn the other three runs, giving the Tribe a commanding 6-0 lead after the half inning.

The Rams scored a run in the third, but another double from Smith drove in freshman infielder Hunter Hart to put the Tribe back up by six. The Rams picked up two unearned runs in the fifth but was shut out the remainder of the contest, netting a 7-3 Tribe win.

Smith was the top Tribe performer of the evening, knocking two doubles and driving in a run while going 3-for-5 from the plate. Sophomore infielder Matt McDermott and Hogarth each contributed two base hits and Thomas secured one hit and 2 RBIs. The win went to the Tribe’s sophomore pitcher Randall Prosperi, giving him a 3-0 record on the year. As for the bullpen, freshman Zach Tsakounis gave up one run with four strikeouts over three innings and juniors Jamie Sara and Chris Farrell shut out the Rams for an inning each.

The team will look to retain its momentum as it begins CAA play against Northeastern this weekend. The first game takes place Friday, March 22 at 6 p.m., followed by the second leg at 4 p.m. on Saturday and the final contest on Sunday at 1 p.m.