Audige, Milon announce transfers following Shaver’s firing

Jamie Holt / The Flat Hat

More transfers are in the works for William and Mary men’s basketball following the firing of head coach Tony Shaver last week. Cracks began to appear Mar. 14, as junior forward Justin Pierce announced he would be graduating early and exploring transfer options for his final season of National Collegiate Athletic Association eligibility.

It appeared that Pierce’s transfer was the extent of the fallout from Shaver’s firing until chaos erupted the evening of Mar. 21 when both freshman guard Chase Audige and redshirt junior guard Matt Milon made moves to enter the transfer pool as well.

Three-time Colonial Athletic Association rookie of the week, Audige announced in his decision to enter the transfer pool on Twitter and Instagram. “After talking with my family, I have decided to enter the transfer portal to explore all of my options,” Audige wrote. “With that being said, I’m still considering W&M as one of my top options and excited to see the new coaching staff that is hired.”

Audige also expressed his gratitude toward the program and the school as well as singling out Shaver, wishing him “the best of luck finding new coaching pursuits.”

Besides his CAA rookie of the week honors, Audige played in every single game this season, averaging 29 minutes per game. He shot 47 percent from the field, and consistently put up some of the highest defensive numbers of anyone on the squad, grabbing a career-high ten rebounds against Delaware, and delivering four steals for the Tribe against Elon.

“Chase gives us another level defensively. He makes everybody better, quite honestly,” Shaver said of Audige after a tough win over Delaware at home.

It is unclear where Audige is looking to transfer or what conditions would need to be met for him to stay. Losing him would undoubtedly leave a hole in the College’s lineup for next season.

Milon, who came to William and Mary as a transfer from Boston College, has yet to announce his decision on any social media. However, Jeff Goodman, a basketball analyst for Stadium, reported in a tweet that Milon was “exploring a transfer.” According to Goodman, Milon would be a grad transfer.

Milon started 29 of his 31 appearances as a redshirt sophomore during his first year eligible at William and Mary. He averaged just over 32 minutes per game and quickly became one of the best shooters in the CAA, ranking fifth in three-point percentage and sixth in made threes. Milon ranks ninth among active Division I men’s basketball players in career three-point percentage.

Milon’s transfer, if it occurs, will be a blow to the Tribe’s roster, especially as it will leave junior center Nathan Knight as one of the only established leaders on the team.

As a redshirt junior, Milon continued to be one of the Tribe’s best and most consistent scorers, putting up a career-high 30 points against UIC. He has scored 792 points in his two seasons with the College, as well as nabbing 35 steals and 181 boards.

Milon’s transfer, if it occurs, will be a blow to the Tribe’s roster, especially as it will leave junior center Nathan Knight as one of the only established leaders on the team. Knight is currently the last of the team’s veterans who is not publicly considering a transfer, although the frantic pace at which players are jumping ship could mean more changes are coming.

Athletic Director Samantha Huge has yet to announce who will sit on the search committee tasked with finding a new head coach for the men’s basketball program, but now that half the starting lineup has one foot out the door, Huge faces considerably more pressure to find the right fit if she plans to convince Pierce, Milon, and Audige to stay.