College community mourns death of Nathan Evans

COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

At around noon March 22, an email was sent to the College of William and Mary’s student body informing students of the death of Nathan Evans ’21, a running back on the Tribe football team. In the email, Vice President for Student Affairs Virginia Ambler explained that the College was notified by Evans’ family the morning of March 22 that he had died last night, March 21, in Norfolk.

According to the email, athletic departments, coaches and the College’s Division of Student Affairs are directly assisting those close to Evans. In addition to these resources, the Dean of Students Office, the Counseling Center, campus ministers and Ambler’s office will remain on call throughout the weekend.

“A running back with the W&M football team, Nate was a valued member of the Tribe both on and off the field,” Ambler said in an email. “He ranked second on the team in rushing during his sophomore season. Though he had yet to declare a major, Nate was interested in a career in public or global health and aspired to major in Kinesiology.”

The Norfolk Police department released an update March 22 declaring Evans’ death a homicide. Dispatchers received a call around 11:50 p.m. March 21 about a gunshot disturbance in the 800 block of West 43 St. near Colley Avenue in Norfolk.

Evans was pronounced dead on the scene due to suffering from a gunshot wound. No further information has been released yet concerning the incident and a suspect has not yet been identified.

College President Katherine Rowe released a statement to the College community expressing her condolences to the Evans family.

“William and Mary grieves today the death of Nate Evans, an immensely talented young man,” Rowe said in a written statement. “I extend condolences and the deepest sympathy on behalf of the community to Nate’s family, friends, team members and others close to him.”

Head football coach Mike London also provided a statement, informing the College’s community that the team has been gathering together to support each other during this tragic time for both football players and the student body as a whole.

“Nate’s is a lose we are feeling deeply within our program,” London said. “Faith and family are the foundations of our program. We value relationships first. Our team has gathered together to support each other as we deal with the grief that comes from this tragedy. Additionally, we will do all we can to support and comfort Nate’s family and loved ones through this difficult time.”

A campus-wide gathering was held Monday, March 25 at 7:00 p.m. at Zable Stadium to honor Evans’ life and impact within the College’s community.

The Norfolk Police Department also announced the arrest of Chesapeake resident Kri’Shawn D. Beamon in connection to Evans’ murder March 25. Beamon, who was arrested at his home on charges of second degree murder, robbery and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony, is currently being held in the Norfolk County Jail without bond.

A second arrest was made public Thursday, March 28 regarding the arrest of a second suspect, Jerry Collins Spady of Portsmouth. Spady, who was arrested in connection to the death of Evans March 22, is charged with carrying a concealed weapon. His arrest was announced six days following the Evans’ murder.

This article was updated March 28 at 3:45 p.m. to include information about Spady’s arrest.