Center for Archeological Research moves location, building undergoing renovation to become a coffee shop

JUSTIN SHERLOCK / THE FLAT HAT

The William and Mary Center for Archaeological Research announced their move from 327 Richmond Road to a new location on campus on Aug. 26. The building is currently undergoing renovation and has been permitted by the William and Mary Real Estate Foundation to become a coffeehouse. 

“The William and Mary Real Estate Foundation (WMREF) has been issued permits to renovate a property under its ownership into a coffeehouse operated by an internationally known brand,” Senior Associate Director of University News Erin Zargursky said in an email to the Flat Hat. 

Though Zagursky did not name the brand directly, the fencing on the border of the property displays an anticipated building design for a Starbucks coffee shop. 

The Center for Archaeological Research has moved to their new location at the Holmes House at 308 Jamestown Road. 

“It has definitely been a big change. I think WMCAR had been in that space for nearly 30 years, after starting in the basement of Camm Hall,” Archaeological Research Manager and Interim Co-Director of the Center Elizabeth J. Monroe wrote in an email to the Flat Hat. “It’s always difficult to make a move like this, especially while trying to keep moving forward on the various projects we had going at the time, but it gives us the opportunity to reorganize and streamline.”