Cuy leads men’s gymnastics to fourth place finish at Navy Open

Senior Aidan Cuy competes swings forward at the end of the parallel bars during last year’s ECAC Championships at Kaplan Arena on Saturday, April 2. JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

Saturday, Jan. 21, William and Mary men’s gymnastics finished fourth at the 2023 Navy Open in Annapolis, Maryland with a score of 370.35.

Ohio State won the team title with a 405.35. Penn State finished as the runner-up (395.45) and Navy rounded out the podium (386.05). Springfield and Simpson also competed in the meet.

Sophomore Samuel Smith led the Tribe with a score of 12.55 on the floor exercise. All five Tribe gymnasts scoffed at least a 12.05 on their way to a team score of 61.45.

The pommel horse marked the Tribe’s weakest event. Graduate student Christian Marsh excelled on pommel horse with a 13.2, besting all his teammates by at least 1.35. His performance was eighth best in the meet.

Marsh again led the way for the Tribe on rings, scoring a 12.45. Sophomore Zachary Patrick finished the event with a 12.25.

The Tribe’s strongest event of the day was vault, with all Tribe gymnasts scoring at least 13.05. Freshman Ricky Pizem scored a team-best 14.1, enough for a T-10 finish in the event in just his second collegiate meet.

On parallel bars, Marsh registered a career high 13.85. His finish was good enough for fourth in the competition. Senior Aidan Cuy scored a 13.6 to finish tied for fifth.

Finally, on the horizontal bar, four of the five Tribe gymnasts scored in the 12s. Freshman Evan Sikra had the best score on the team with a 12.6.

Cuy was the only Tribe gymnast to compete in all six events. He finished the day with an all-around score of 74.35, placing fourth in the competition. Marsh and Cuy led the team with a pair of top-10 finishes.

The Tribe will travel back to Annapolis, Maryland on Saturday, Jan. 28 to face Navy.

Previous articleTribe comeback falls short in high scoring affair against NC A&T
Next articleThe dreaded evening finals slot
Avatar photo
Jake Forbes is a junior at the College of William and Mary. He is double majoring in Government and Public Policy, but has a focus in health policy. In addition to serving as Managing Editor for the Flat Hat, Jake is the President of Club Golf and a member of club gymnastics. He has worked in journalism for nine years and previously served as Editor-in-Chief of the Newtonite, his high school newspaper. Hailing from Newton, MA, Jake is a proud Boston sports fan.