Men’s tennis season comes to end, loses in CAA quarterfinals

COURTESY IMAGE // TRIBE ATHLETICS Graduate student Joseph Brailovsky ranges to his right during the Tribe's 5-2 win against Richmond earlier this month.

Friday, April 28, William and Mary men’s tennis (9-11, 3-1 CAA) fell to Monmouth (18-7, 2-2) 4-0 in the quarterfinal round of the CAA championships at the Mackesy Tennis Center in Williamsburg, VA. 

The Tribe, which lost in the semifinals last year as the No. 1 seed, looked to bounce back this year with a stronger performance that hopefully would result in the team’s fifth CAA title.

However, the Hawks from Monmouth had different plans. 

After rain forced the match indoors, the two teams began the competition with the singles matches and decided to continue to doubles only if necessary. Unfortunately for the Tribe, not a single doubles match finished before the match ended.

The Hawks outmatched the Tribe in every singles matchup, winning the No. 1, No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 matches in dominant fashion. Graduate student Andres Silva almost forced a lone third set in his matchup against senior Alexander Zuckerman, but ultimately fell in the second set 7-6 to end the match. 

Friday’s loss marked the end of the 2022-2023 season for the Tribe, a team that potentially may look very different next year. With four current graduate students and one senior on the team, William and Mary’s men’s tennis is eager to develop their young players and continue improving into the next season.