Tribe falls just short on the road, loses to George Washington

RYAN GOODMAN / THE FLAT HAT

Saturday, Nov. 11, William and Mary men’s basketball (2-1, 0-0 CAA) lost to George Washington (2-0, 0-0 Atlantic 10) 89-95 at the Charles E. Smith Center in Washington, DC. 

The last time these two teams faced one another was in 2021 when the Tribe emerged victorious 85-84. Despite not taking the win in this contest, the Tribe had a total of 18 three pointers, with multiple players putting up 15 or more points towards the score. 

In the first half, the Tribe slightly trailed George Washington 43-42 at the end of the period. George Washington opened the period with a quick score in the first minute by senior guard James Bishop IV. The Tribe swiftly followed when sophomore forward Charlie Williams scored a three-point shot following a defensive rebound from junior guard Gabe Dorsey. 

As the period progressed, the Tribe led its opponent by eight points, but George Washington closed the gap to lead the Tribe by one.

Into the second half, despite a commendable fight from the Tribe, George Washington outscored William and Mary 52-47. The Tribe gained a slight lead of 48-46 early in the half after three-point shots by Dorsey and Williams. This shortly held lead ended when George Washington redshirt freshman guard Garrett Johnson tied the game 48-48. 

George Washington dominated the offense the remainder of the period. With just under six minutes remaining in the contest, the home team had a 15-point lead on the Tribe.

Despite the loss, notable performers from the Tribe include Dorsey, Williams, sophomore guard Chase Lowe and graduate student guard Sean Houpt.

Houpt led the team in points with 17 for the game, Lowe followed with 16 points, Dorsey with 15 points and Williams with 12 points. While a loss for the Tribe, the distribution of offensive threats is a good sign for future games.

The Tribe heads to USAFA, in Colorado from Nov. 16-19 to play Omaha, Air Force and Lindenwood. With three contests in the span of four days, the Tribe has ample opportunity to prove themselves after this loss.