Green and Gold puts on show in home opener, wins 12-8 at home

Saturday, Feb. 17, William and Mary women’s lacrosse (1-1) defeated Old Dominion (0-3) 12-8 at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field in Williamsburg, Va.

Though the majority of the game was closely contested throughout the first three quarters, William and Mary’s explosive fourth quarter secured its victory.

Offensively, the Tribe outshot the Monarchs 31-21, and players who did not start scored seven of the Tribe’s 12 goals.

ODU opened scoring in the fourth minute with a goal from junior midfield Sydney Taylor. Roughly a minute later, William and Mary responded with a goal from junior attack Anna Dawson, assisted by junior midfield Paige Gilbert. With two minutes, 20 seconds remaining in the first quarter, Tribe sophomore midfield Maresa Moyer passed to sophomore midfielder Kate Draddy, who found the back of the net and secured a 2-1 lead for the Tribe. Taylor responded with her second goal of the game for the Monarchs just a minute later, evening the score 2-2 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter saw back-and-forth action from both teams. 

William and Mary junior midfield Margaret Mooney scored around three minutes into the second quarter, but Monarchs senior attack Olivia Tanneberger equalized the score with ten minutes, four seconds remaining in the half.

In the 22nd minute, freshman midfield Finley Hoffman scored. Less than a minute later, ODU sophomore midfield Emma Rowland tied the contest once again. With five minutes, eleven seconds left in the half, ODU graduate student midfield Emma Arnold propelled the Monarchs into the lead, 5-4.

With roughly four minutes remaining in the second quarter, William and Mary sophomore attack Sydney Witwer scored, assisted by Draddy. Just 25 seconds later, Witwer scored her second goal of the game, giving the Tribe a one-point lead. Arnold responded for the Monarchs with an equalizer in the 28th minute, evening the score 6-6 at the end of the half.

With seven minutes, 46 seconds left in the third quarter, Draddy scored her second goal of the game, giving the Tribe a one-point advantage. In the 40th minute, Draddy passed to junior attack Sophia Chiodo Oritz, who extended the Tribe’s lead to two points. Less than four minutes later, ODU reacted with a third goal from Taylor, cutting William and Mary’s lead to one point.

The Tribe carried its offensive momentum in the fourth quarter, scoring four total goals.

Assisted by Draddy, Witwer scored again in the 48th minute, matching a career-high with three goals on the day. With nine minutes, thirty-nine seconds remaining in the game, Draddy scored her third goal unassisted, extending the Tribe’s lead to three points. Sophomore midfield Lauren Rothstein put the Tribe in the lead 11-7 with a goal around 10 minutes into the fourth quarter. Less than a minute later, Draddy scored her fourth goal of the day, tying her career-high in one game.

With just one minute, fifty-two seconds left in the matchup, Tanneberger cut the deficit by one point with an assist from ODU graduate student attack Lilly Siskind, cementing the Tribe’s 12-8 victory.

William and Mary also recorded impressive defensive performances on top of the phenomenal offensive statistics. Junior goalkeeper Elise Palmer recorded nine saves and a .529 save percentage. Senior defense Kathleen Cozzi equaled a career-high five ground balls and posted two caused turnovers.

Tribe women’s lacrosse looks to secure another win against No. 20 Richmond (2-0) Feb. 21 at Robins Stadium in Richmond, Va.