William and Mary’s skid continues, drops fifth consecutive game

JULIANA GOMIEN // THE FLAT HAT Junior guard Matteus Case has seen a significant increase in playing time this season, averaging almost 29 minutes per game. Case also has started the last five games for the Green and Gold.

Thursday, Feb. 15, William and Mary men’s basketball (8-19, 3-11 CAA) fell to Towson (16-11, 9-5 CAA) 61-52 at Kaplan Arena in Williamsburg, Va.

Notable performances include sophomore guard Trey Moss and junior guard Gabe Dorsey. Both players recorded a combined performance of 33 points, and Moss recorded five rebounds throughout the game. Sophomore guard Chase Lowe recorded 11 rebounds and five assists for the Tribe.

Last season, the Tribe emerged victorious in its matchup against the Tigers, edging out a 68-66 victory. This victory broke a three-year losing streak to the Tigers, allowing the Tribe to gain late-season momentum. While this year’s matchup ended in a loss for William and Mary, the deficit was smaller than it has been in past losses to Towson. In 2022, the Tribe lost to Towson by 22 points and 15 points in two matchups that season. With this year’s loss, the Tribe only trailed its opponent by nine points, challenging the Tigers to work for its victory.

At 42%, The Tigers’ three-point percentage was more than double the Tribe’s 18.%. While percentages were closer for regular shots and free throws, the Tigers were superior to the Tribe in those categories as well.

The first half of the game was tightly contested between the two teams, with back-and-forth scoring. Despite a quick start by the Tigers, the score remained tied 14-14 at the midway point of the first half. At half, the Tribe only trailed the Tigers by one point.

Towson had multiple players in the double digits for points and leaned on its wealth of talent to defeat the Tribe. Notable players in the Tigers’ win included sophomore guard Christian May, graduate forward Charles Thompson and redshirt junior guard Nendah Tarke.

The Tribe’s late-season slump may be explained by several players sustaining injuries, including sophomore forward Charlie Williams and sophomore guard/forward Jack Karasinski. 

Despite these injuries and a five-game losing streak, the Tribe still continues to compete, setting its sights on UNC Wilmington (19-7, 10-4 CAA) Thursday, Feb. 22 at Kaplan Arena in Williamsburg, Va.