Swimming: Tribe gives strong performance at CAA meet

Thirteen-year records fell by the wayside in Harrisonburg, Va. as the William and Mary’s men and women’s programs posted winning records at the Colonial Athletic Association Pod Meet.

The men’s program defeated the University of North Carolina — Wilmington for the first time since 1998 before downing the University of Delaware to complete the weekend sweep. The Tribe (5-0, 3-0 CAA) outscored its opponents by a combined 123 points, preserving the program’s best start since the 1970s.

On the women’s side, the College (4-2, 2-2 CAA) topped UNC—W and Delaware before falling 223-124 to James Madison University. The pair of wins — 195-146 over the Seahawks and 198.5-148.5 over the Blue Hens — ensured both a winning weekend and winning overall record.

Individually, senior Andrew Strait highlighted Saturday’s events. Strait won the 200 breast in two minutes, five seconds and 89 milliseconds before claiming the 200 individual medley in 1:53.24. Strait joined sophomore Will Manion, sophomore Justin Barden, and sophomore Billy Russel to finish the medley relay in 1:32.14, good for first place. The medley relay time qualified as the seventh fastest in College history.

Manion and Barden also contributed in individual events. Manion won the 200 backstroke in 1:49.73 as Barden took the 100 fly in 49.80 seconds. Junior Taegan Clarke added another individual win in the 100 free, finishing in 47.57 seconds.

Junior Megan Howard won the 100 free in 51.91 seconds before winning the 100 fly in 57.39 seconds to lead the women’s program. Junior Liz Glenn swam the 200 backstroke in 2:01.27, good for the event win. The College’s 400 free relay and 200 medley relay also beat UNC—W and Delaware.

The College faces Duke Friday at 11 a.m.