Sadler: breakfast worth the wait

Guatemalan-American anthropologist Fredy Peccerelli helps identify victims of the 1960-1992 Guatemalan Civil War by exhuming mass graves.

It’s the most important meal of the day, and Sadler’s serving it up your way.That’s right, if you have the misfortune of being in class at the crack of dawn and need sustenance to get you through the morning, look no further than the College of William & Mary’s Sadler Center omelet bar.

Featuring a wide array of options, the omelet bar is perfect for students who like to mix their breakfasts up on a day-to-day basis and students who like to place the same, highly customized order every morning. Garnish your omelet with spinach, add some cheddar cheese, and pick among tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, ham and bacon to give your omelet just the taste you want. For those looking for a healthier, lighter breakfast, the omelet bar even offers egg whites.

The main disadvantage the omelet bar has as an early morning dining option is the wait that you will probably have. As the tastiest breakfast option on campus, a sizable line is basically the norm for the omelet bar. Leave yourself an additional 10 to 20 minutes to spend on line if you are eating before class just to play it safe.

Sadler also has a definite locational advantage that will make it preferable to other breakfast options for many students.

From Monday to Thursday, the omelet bar is open until 9:30 a.m. After 9:30 a.m., the chef on duty will finish all orders placed beforehand, but refuse any additional orders. The omelet bar is then repurposed into a pasta station for lunchtime.

On Fridays and the weekend, however, the omelet bar will stay open until 2:00 p.m. It becomes the perfect breakfast option for early-risers and those who sleep in alike.  Sadler also has a definite locational advantage that will make it preferable to other breakfast options for many students. Occupying a central location on campus, especially compared to the caf and marketplace, Sadler is the best place for a majority of students to eat in the morning during the College’s short window of breakfast hours.

Sadler has other important advantages over other campus breakfast options, especially marketplace. It has plenty of options that are simply absent from marketplace. From a wide variety of cereal options to scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, Sadler has things in store even for those pressed for time or those growing tired of their morning omelet.

Next time you roll out of bed early in the morning for whatever reason, be sure to pay the Sadler center and its wonderful omelet bar a visit. If nothing else, it is a silver lining of not being able to sleep in.

Email Nick Phair at nwphair@email.wm.edu