Profile: Omar Prewitt locked in for senior season

Senior Omar Prewitt knows what he wants in his final season­ — the frustratingly and often heartbreakingly elusive Colonial Athletic Association championship.

“I want to win a CAA championship,” Prewitt said. “Obviously, I’m sure that’s what everyone else would say too. I’ve been to the finals two years, got to the semifinals last year, and I think I know what it takes for us to get over that hump. Hopefully as a team we can get that done this year.”

The Tribe’s do-it-all forward firmly cemented himself as one of the best players in the conference last season by averaging 17.8 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 2.5 assists a game.  And the CAA and basketball pundits from all over took notice. Prewitt was a First Team All-CAA selection following last season and was named as a preseason First Team All-CAA pick at the conference’s media day. Prewitt was also named as one of five non-Power Five guards that will become a household name in 2016 by College Court Report.

I want to win a CAA championship,” Prewitt said. “Obviously, I’m sure that’s what everyone else would say too. I’ve been to the finals two years, got to the semifinals last year, and I think I know what it takes for us to get over that hump. Hopefully as a team we can get that done this year.”

But Prewitt doesn’t get distracted by the accolades or the hype. The senior doesn’t consider his individual success the priority. He just wants to win.

“I don’t really read those too often,” Prewitt said. “I have David Cohn who keeps me updated with all that, but I really try not to get too invested into that kind of stuff. I really just look forward to the season, making sure I’m doing what I’m capable of doing out there and helping my team win.”

Prewitt and the rest of the Tribe play a competitive slate of games before the start of conference play. Opponents include nationally ranked Atlantic Coast Conference powerhouses Duke and Louisville and No. 21 Rhode Island.

The No. 1 Blue Devils have last season’s talented backcourt still intact with the return of All-American guard Grayson Allen and sharpshooter Luke Kennard. And analysts expect the majority of Duke’s prized incoming freshman class to be high draft picks in next June’s NBA draft.

The game I’m most looking forward to would definitely be the Louisville game,” Prewitt said.“It’s in Kentucky, which is where I’m from; I have three friends on the team, two of them are starters this year. So I’m definitely going to be talking a little beef out there, maybe give them a couple shoves,” Prewitt said. “So yeah, that’ll be really fun for me.”

No. 12 Louisville boasts a loaded frontcourt with two 7-footers on the roster. In the backcourt, returning point guard Quentin Snider is a competent floor general who effectively distributes the basketball.

Prewitt is most looking forward to the match-up with the latter.

“The game I’m most looking forward to would definitely be the Louisville game. It’s in Kentucky, which is where I’m from; I have three friends on the team, two of them are starters this year. So I’m definitely going to be talking a little beef out there, maybe give them a couple shoves,” Prewitt said with a smile. “So yeah, that’ll be really fun for me.”