This week in Flat Hat History (April 27)

**1930**
    Earl G. Swem was elected to be business manager of the Colonial Echo, the College’s yearbook. He had served on the staff the previous year as an assistant business manager. Swem was also a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Omicron Delta Kappa and The Flat Hat Club.

p. **1952**
    The College golf team beat Richmond by a 26 1⁄2- 1⁄2 margin and beat VMI 22 1⁄2- 4 1⁄2. In the Richmond match, Bill Wray shot a 69, which was the team’s lowest score at that point in the season.

p. **1969**
    Students put together a petition in support of College President David Paschall in response to a student petition requesting his resignation.
    Supporters of Paschall cited the development of new buildings, higher faculty salaries and new programs as evidence of his strength as a president. Other students took issue with his alleged opposition to controversial speakers, lack of cooperation with Flat Hat editors and withholding of faculty contracts.

p. **2002**
    470 students were bumped in the housing lottery, according to the Office of Residence Life. In 2002, 97 more people paid their housing deposit than in 2001, which resulted in a record high number of students getting bumped. Res Life stated they were working to create new residential facilities on campus by fall 2005. This year 326 students were bumped.