Women’s Soccer: Casey, Tribe shut out Drexel

William and Mary extended its unbeaten streak to nine consecutive games by shutting down Drexel 2-0 in Philadelphia Thursday night.  The Tribe (5-1-4, 2-0 CAA) faced a constant offensive threat from the Dragons, but held firm on defense with a dominant performance from sophomore goalkeeper Caroline Casey.

The Tribe notched the first scoring attempt of the match 10 minutes into the action, when junior forward Anna Madden’s shot attempt was blocked.

However, Madden quickly recovered the ball and scored 10 seconds later to give the Tribe a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute of the contest.

The Dragons held the College to just one scoring opportunity for the rest of the first period as they controlled the ball and put multiple shots on frame on offense. The Tribe defense repeatedly repelled their assault, however, and Casey stopped four shots before halftime to send the Tribe into intermission with a 1-0 lead.

The Dragons out-shot the Tribe 11-3 in the first half and were clearly the dominant team offensively. But the Tribe defense, which has allowed just five goals in the team’s nine-game unbeaten streak, left the potent Drexel offense helpless through 45 minutes and scrambling for answers going into the second half.

Both squads nearly scored in the opening minutes of the second period. Sophomore midfielder Nicole Baxter fired a shot on goal for the College in the 47th minute, but Drexel’s keeper Eve Badana made a narrow save. Just a minute later, the hosts nearly tied the game, but forward Andi Stampone’s on-target shot hit the post and ricocheted out of bounds.

The two sides traded shots for the next several minutes, but neither offense could catch a break as both defenses ratcheted up the pressure. Both goalies stayed sharp against multiple on-target attempts.

After nearly 50 scoreless minutes, the Tribe finally generated a second goal from a familiar source.

Junior forward Emory Camper gathered the ball and fired a shot past Badana to give the Tribe a 2-0 lead in the 70th minute. The goal was Camper’s team-high sixth goal of the season and took pressure off the College’s defense.

The Dragons managed three shots on target in the final 20 minutes, Casey stopped the first two attempts, and the defense blocked a third strike. Minutes later, the clock ran out on the Dragons, and the Tribe celebrated its fourth shutout of the season.

Overall, the Dragons outshot the Tribe 19-10 and placed nine shots on goal to the College’s six.  Regardless, the Tribe was able to create scores when necessary, and the Dragons were rendered inert against the College’s defense. Casey finished with eight saves, another dominant performance in what has become a highly impressive sophomore season. Most importantly, the Tribe stayed undefeated in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Tribe will look to continue its unbeaten streak into double digits when it returns to Williamsburg for a four-game home stand. The Tribe will return to action Sunday at 2 p.m., when it hosts Delaware.