Volleyball: Tribe prevails over Hampton in straight sets

Going into its Tuesday night match-up with Hampton University, William and Mary was reeling from consecutive straight-set losses to Texas Christian University and Penn State University. The College’s luck turned, however, as it trounced Hampton, 3-0, in its home opener at Kaplan Arena.

Junior Mallory Brickerd starred for the Tribe (2-2), leading the team with 15 kills, five digs and a block. Brickerd also served three consecutive aces to give the Tribe a 5-3 lead in the first set and start the College on a strong note. Sophomore Stephanie Paul added two aces, 21 assists and five digs, and also served on the Tribe’s match-sealing point in the third set. Sophomore Michelle Heath contributed nine kills, seven digs, and four blocks. Heath’s four blocks tied her for the team lead, along with freshman Paige Humphrey, junior Dessi Koleva and junior Carolyn Albright.

Junior Mallory Brickerd starred for the Tribe (2-2), leading the team with 15 kills, five digs and a block. Brickerd also served three consecutive aces to give the Tribe a 5-3 lead in the first set and start the College on a strong note. 

Sophomore Stephanie Paul added two aces, 21 assists and five digs, and also served on the Tribe’s match-sealing point in the third set. Sophomore Michelle Heath contributed nine kills, seven digs, and four blocks. Heath’s four blocks tied her for the team lead, along with freshman Paige Humphrey, junior Dessi Koleva and junior Carolyn Albright.

The match’s opening set was particularly close, featuring 18 ties and seven lead changes.  The first set was tied at 28-28 before the Tribe picked up two consecutive points to take a one set lead. The second half was close as well, with the College’s eventual 25-22 win serving as the largest lead of the contest.

Eventually, the Tribe secured a 2-0 lead off of a block by Albright and Heath, forcing the Pirates to either rally or go home with a loss.

With their backs to the wall, the Pirates entered the third set with renewed intensity. Hampton outpaced the Tribe to take a 9-5 lead in the third, threatening to gain some ground on the College.

However, Brickerd’s two kills sparked a 7-2 run that earned the Tribe a 12-11 lead and, by extension, control of the decisive set. Though the Pirates secured a 17-17 tie in the third, the Tribe ended the match with an 8-1 run, earning a 25-18 win in the set and a 3-0 victory in the match.

The College returns to action this weekend, when it will participate in the Patriot Invitational in Fairfax. The Tribe faces East Tennessee State Friday night before playing Lehigh and tournament-host George Mason Saturday.