Tennis: Tribe earns four non-conference victories over weekend

Last weekend was a dominant one for William and Mary, as the men’s and women’s teams each swept a two match weekend to continue a sharp winter.

The women’s team (3-1, 0-0 CAA) pulled off a 7-0 shutout over Morgan State Friday before outlasting Penn State, 5-2, Sunday. The men’s team (4-2, 0-0 CAA) crushed a Saturday double-header, beating South Carolina State 5-2 in the morning before shutting out Howard, 7-0, in the afternoon. All four of the weekend’s matches took place at the McCormick-Nagleson Tennis Center in Williamsburg, Va.

The women started the weekend with a dominant sweep of Morgan State. The College began by capturing the doubles point, with senior Jeltje Loomans and junior Leeza Nemchinov clinching the score with their victory and giving the Tribe a 1-0 lead. However, the College hardly needed the cushion, as the Tribe won all six of its singles matches without dropping a single set.

Freshman Cecily Wuenscher stood out, crushing Morgan State’s Jasmine Edwards 6-1, 6-0 and setting the tone for the afternoon. When the dust cleared, the Tribe walked away with an easy 7-0 win.

The women’s team (3-1, 0-0 CAA) pulled off a 7-0 shutout over Morgan State Friday before outlasting Penn State, 5-2, Sunday. The men’s team (4-2, 0-0 CAA) crushed a Saturday double-header, beating South Carolina State 5-2 in the morning before shutting out Howard, 7-0, in the afternoon.

The College carried its success over to Sunday, posting another sharp performance against Penn State. The Tribe captured two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point and advanced to a 1-0 lead.

From there, the College carried the day in singles play; the Tribe’s top three of Nemchinov, Loomans and sophomore Melanie Roy each won their matches, giving the Tribe a 4-0 lead and sealing the win. Freshman Maria Groener added a victory at the fifth slot to punctuate the Tribe’s 5-2 victory.

Meanwhile, the men’s team posted a similarly impressive showing in two Saturday contests. Sophomores Damon Niquet and Addison Appleby were perfect on the day, capturing their four total singles matches and teaming up to take both their doubles tilts. The College captured two of three doubles matches in the morning face-off with South Carolina State to jump to a 1-0 lead. Although freshman Christian Cargill fell to South Carolina State’s Rodney Carey, the Tribe nabbed four victories in singles play to coast to a 5-2 win.

The Tribe refocused quickly, unleashing a 7-0 drubbing on Howard.

The College won every single set of its three doubles contests and six singles matches, with junior Scott Huang winning his match with a perfect 6-0, 6-0 score.

The victory completed the men’s strong day and the program’s dominant weekend.

The College returns to action later this week. The men host Norfolk State Wednesday at 4 p.m. and the women will travel to Winston-Salem, N.C. to take on Wake Forest Friday at 3:30 p.m.