Volleyball: Losing streak extends to eight

William and Mary fell twice on the road on Friday and Sunday with 3-0 losses against both North Carolina-Wilmington and Charleston, extending its current losing streak to eight. These losses keep the College at the bottom of the Colonial Athletic Association.

Both weekend opponents had previously provided the only two wins the Tribe has in conference thus far, Charleston falling 3-1 Oct. 7 and UNC-Wilmington falling in five sets 3-2 Oct. 9, both at Kaplan Arena. The Tribe wouldn’t get a single set in the road rematches.

The Tribe (8-19, 2-13 CAA) lost in three straight sets to UNC-Wilmington (15-11, 5-9 CAA) Friday night.

The Seahawks took a rough first set 25-13. Although the Tribe came out fighting in the second set, it suffered another loss in the second set 25-18, followed by losing the match set 25-15.

Junior outside hitter Sydney Biniak led the Tribe offense with nine kills, closely followed by freshman outside hitter Casey Foote with six. Sophomore middle hitter Katie Primatic secured two of the three blocks on Friday night.

The back row was led by junior back row defender Sara Zumbach and senior back row defender Gabrielle Pe, each with nine digs, trailed by freshman outside hitter and back row defender Samatha Conway with eight.

The back row was led by junior back row defender Sara Zumbach and senior back row defender Gabrielle Pe, each with nine digs, trailed by freshman outside hitter and back row defender Samatha Conway with eight.

The Tribe lost again in three straight sets to Charleston (17-10, 10-5 CAA). Although the sets were more competitive against the previously-defeated Cougars, the Tribe was unable to secure a single set win. After a tough 25-13 loss in the first set, the Tribe fought for each point, despite losing the following two sets 25-22 and 25-20.

Biniak and Foote led the offense again with eight and six respective kills. Successfully defending the net was junior middle blocker Paige Humphrey with four blocks and freshman outside hitter Alex Stein with three. Stein also scored the Tribe’s only two aces in the match. Pe again dominated back row defense along with Foote, each with 11 digs.

The Tribe will host its final two matches of the season at home this weekend, facing Towson at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 11 and Delaware at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12.