Sports Desk: A look at the month of May

From National Collegiate Athletic Association Championship appearances to transfers to resignations, the College has seen it all in the month of May. The Flat Hat sports desk takes stock of the latest happenings in Tribe athletics.

Women’s tennis: Texas downs Tribe 4-0, Belaya and Loomans advance to Round of 16 in doubles play

After winning the Colonial Athletic Association tournament, the College’s No. 44 squad traveled to Charlottesville to take on No. 18 Texas, winners of the Big 12 Conference, in the first round of the NCAA Championship. Texas rallied to claim the doubles point before taking the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 spots in individual play to end the Tribe’s season.

Continue reading here.

Football: Reeves transfers to College

Head coach Jimmye Laycock and his staff won’t begin the season until Aug. 31, when they travel to Morgantown to face West Virginia. That doesn’t mean the staff is on vacation, however. The program announced that redshirt sophomore Christian Reeves had transferred from Virginia Tech to the College, where he will enroll in classes this summer.

Continue reading here.

Track and Field: Balouris and Stites continue to NCAA Championships

After sweeping the Colonial Athletic Association conference meet on both the men’s and women’s sides, bids to advance to the National Collegiate Athletic Association Championship came quickly. Athletes needed to finish in the top 12 slots of their event to advance from the NCAA East Preliminaries to the NCAA Championship, held in Eugene, Oregon.

Continue reading here.

Basketball: Burchfield commits to Tribe

Word that head coach Tony Shaver garnered a commitment from Connor Burchfield should excite returning members of Shaver’s squad. The six-foot, four-inch shooting guard brings a reputation of high basketball intelligence and an ability to light up the scoreboard.

Continue reading here.

Lacrosse: Ireland resigns, search for replacement begins

Head coach Brooke Ireland resigned after two seasons at the helm of the lacrosse program. Ireland recorded a 9-24 overall record, 4-10 in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Continue reading here.

Baseball: At-large bid advances College to NCAA Regional

After losing to Towson 5-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association Championship, the College (37-22, 17-10 CAA) received its first ever at-large bid to the National Collegiate Athletic Association Championship. Bracketed in the Raleigh Regional with North Carolina State, Binghamton and Mississippi, the third ranked Tribe opens play against Mississippi Friday, May 31 at 2 p.m.

Continue reading here.

Follow @Flathatsports for up-to-date scores, news, and information of all things related to the College’s athletic programs.