Football: 2013 Preview

Defensive Preview

Stone-solid defenses are the core of championship-contending teams. If its exemplary performance in the first half of last week’s game against West Virginia is at all representative of what’s to come, William and Mary’s defense will pose a staunch test for any Colonial Athletic Association offense.

Any discussion of the College’s defense must begin with the two senior captains — safety Jerome Couplin III and defensive tackle George Beerhalter. Both were strong against West Virginia — Couplin finished with a game-high 14 tackles, 10 of which were open-field solos.

Offensive Preview

New offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers began the offseason with a problem. Of William and Mary’s four quarterbacks with a shot to start Saturday, two were sidelined with injuries, one had never seen a collegiate snap, and the last gimped through last season with inconsistent play, injuries and illness.

“[Rogers] is a good coach, but he can’t play quarterback,” head coach Jimmye Laycock told the Richmond Times-Dispatch, dismissing one solution to the quarterback issue. “[Rogers is] helping us out a lot with the offense. We’re changing a few things around to give us some different looks, but it still boils down to you have to have the players to execute it and play.”

Commentary: Editors discuss pressing questions going into football season

Flat Hat sports desk editors Jack Powers and Chris Weber talk Tribe football, addressing the most pressing concerns facing the College in 2013.